Invited by the Lighting Research Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute of Troy, New York, to participate in a Bonneville Power Administration study.
GOAL: Survey and compare perceptions of nighttime safety and security in public spaces illuminated by various light sources. Study revealed significant increase in perception of safety and security under LED lighting.
- Scoped locations and negotiated with UW for use of parking lots.
- E-11 parking lot used to test LED (newly installed, as part of Sound Transit construction).
- W-35 parking lot used to test HPS (high pressure sodium).
- W-12 parking lot used to test metal halide.
- Conducted lighting audits of lots, including photometric measurement mapping by grid.
- Oversaw recruitment of study participants.